Crock Pot Brown Rice is soft and fluffy and a fool-proof way to make perfect rice without a rice cooker. Slow cooker rice freezes well and is a great way to meal prep ahead for a busy week.
Cooking rice isn't hard, but it can be easy to get wrong. Crunchy, sticky, mushy, and messy if it bubbles over the stove top. So I think the best way to make brown rice is in the Crock Pot.
This brown rice crock pot recipe is insanely easy, totally hands-off, and makes perfectly soft, fluffy, tender rice. I like to make large batches and keep some in the fridge for a fast, easy side dish and freeze some for later.
In order to achieve the perfect slow cooker brown rice, I played around quite a bit with the rice-to-liquid ratio. If the rice cooks in too much water, it's mushy. Not enough and it's crunchy. Two cups of brown rice to 3 ½ cups water is perfect.
You’re Going to Love This
- Slow cooking is a fool-proof method for perfectly fluffy brown rice
- A big batch of rice is a great way to meal prep for the week
- Crock Pot rice is a time saver -- freeze it for later or use it in side dishes all week
- Brown rice is a cozy, filling comfort food, and delicious way to eat more whole grains
See recipe card at the bottom of the post for the full list of ingredients and exact amounts.
Brown rice. I use brown long grain rice. Before cooking, rinse brown rice under cool water until the water runs clear.
Water or broth. You can use all water, all chicken broth or vegetable broth, or a combination.
Butter, optional. A little butter adds flavor, but it's not necessary.
How to Make Brown Rice in the Crock Pot
Step 1: Coat slow cooker insert with non-stick spray. Add 2 cups of rice and 3 ½ cups of water.
Step 2: Heat on high for 2 to 2 ½ hours or until all the liquid is absorbed. Fluff rice with a fork and serve.
- Rinsing rice before cooking washes away excess starch to keep rice from clumping. You'll also rinse off unwanted debris like dust or bugs (!!).
- The cooking time may vary depending on your slow cooker. Check for doneness early to avoid overcooking.
Store Crock Pot brown rice in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
Yes, this brown rice Crock Pot recipe freezes well. Freeze in freezer bags or freezer-safe containers. Reheat from frozen or thaw in the refrigerator.
Place in a covered microwave-safe dish with 1-2 tablespoons of water per cup of rice and heat in 1-minute increments until hot.
More Family Favorite Recipes
Let's Stay in Touch
Perfect Brown Rice Crock Pot Recipe
- 2 cups brown rice
- 3 ½ cups water or broth
- 1 tablespoon butter, optional
- Rinse rice with cool water in a mesh strainer or bowl until the water runs cleear.
- Spray Crock Pot insert with nonstick cooking spray. Add rice and water. Cook on high for 2 to 2 ½ hours until the water is absorbed. Fluff with a fork.