Microwaved Carrots are an easy side dish that's super tasty and takes about 10 minutes to make. Try them simply steamed and tossed with a little butter, salt, and pepper, or glazed with brown sugar and butter -- I'll walk through how to do both!
Want to Save This Recipe?
Enter your email & I'll send it to your inbox. Plus, you'll get more FREE recipes and tips from my Midwestern kitchen to yours!
By submitting this form, you consent to receive emails from Midwestern HomeLife
I love these Microwave Steamed Carrots. They're perfectly tender, super fast and easy, and a great go-to side dish for busy weeknight dinners.
In this post, I'll explain how to make them our two favorite ways: steamed in water and tossed with butter, salt, and pepper AND steamed with butter and brown sugar or honey.
Both ways of cooking carrots in the microwave are delicious, and you can cook the carrots until they're as firm or soft as you like them.
You're Going to Love These
- Simple microwave recipe for steamed carrots without a steamer basket
- Great time-saving method next time you need to get dinner on the table fast
- Easy recipe for tender, flavorful carrots
- Glazed microwaved carrots are perfect for everyday or special occasions
See printable recipe card at the bottom of the post for the full list of ingredients and exact amounts.
Raw carrots. I use regular carrots. Baby carrots will also work -- just adjust the cook time as needed.
Brown sugar. A couple tablespoons of brown sugar enhances the natural sweetness of the carrots. Honey or maple syrup may also be used.
Butter. You can use olive oil if you prefer.
Fresh herbs, optional. Sprinkle cooked carrots with a little fresh thyme or fresh parsley.
How to Steam Carrots in the Microwave: 2 Ways
Prep Carrots: Scrub and peel carrots. Cut the carrots into ½ thick slices. I think they look pretty cut diagonally :).
For Glazed Carrots: Place carrot slices, brown sugar or honey, butter, salt, and black pepper in microwave-safe dish covered with microwave-safe lid, plate, or plastic wrap. Heat 6-7 minutes, stirring halfway through. Let sit for an extra minute.
Serve with melted butter brown sugar sauce.
For Simple Steamed Carrots: Microwave carrots and 3 tablespoons of water in covered microwave-safe bowl. Heat for 6-7 minutes, stirring halfway through.
Drain and toss with a couple tablespoons of butter and a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
Serve and enjoy! If desired, sprinkle with fresh herbs like parsley or thyme before serving.
- BE CAREFUL when removing the plate from the bowl. It will be hot, and there will be steam. Use an oven mitt.
- Cooking time will vary with different microwaves. This recipe was tested in my 1000 w microwave oven. You may need to adjust according to your microwave's wattage.
- Check the carrots for doneness at the 4-minute mark by piercing them with a fork.
Store leftover microwaved carrots in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days.
Sure! You may need to adjust the cooking time up or down depending on the size of the carrots.
About halfway through the cooking time, pierce the carrots with a fork. You will be able to feel if the carrots are firm or tender.
Easy Microwaved Carrots: 2 Ways!
- 1 pound fresh carrots 3 cups sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- salt & pepper
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar or honey for glazed carrots
- Scrub and peel carrots. Cut into ½" thick slices.
For Glazed Carrots
- Place carrots, butter, brown sugar or honey, salt, and pepper in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover with plate, lid, or plastic wrap with a small vent. Heat on high 4 minutes. Stir. Heat in 1-minute intervals until tender. Let the carrots stand in covered bowl for one minute.Serve with the buttery brown sugar sauce and a sprinkle of fresh parsley (optional).
For Simple Steamed Carrots
- Place carrots and 3 tablespoons of water in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover with a plate, lid, or vented plastic wrap. Microwave on high for 4 minutes. Stir. Heat in 1-minute intervals until fork-tender. Keep carrots covered in the bowl for one more minute.Drain water and toss with 1-2 tablespoons of butter, salt and pepper, and fresh parsley, if desired.
- BE CAREFUL when removing the plate from the bowl. It will be hot, and there will be steam. Use oven mitts.
- Cooking time will vary with different microwaves. This recipe was tested in my 1000w microwave oven. You may need to adjust according to your microwave's wattage.
- Check the carrots for doneness at the 4-minute mark by piercing them with a fork -- you'll feel if they're tender or firm.