Chicken Taco Hash Brown Casserole is a delicious, creamy casserole recipe loaded with tender chicken, corn, and tomatoes, topped with cheesy hash browns.
Easy recipe you can throw in the oven and about an hour later have a comforting dinner on the table the whole family will devour.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Enter your email & I'll send it to your inbox. Plus, you'll get more FREE recipes and tips from my Midwestern kitchen to yours!
By submitting this form, you consent to receive emails from Midwestern HomeLife
This Taco Hashbrown Casserole recipe is a fun way to take Taco Tuesday in a cozy new direction.
It all starts with a creamy layer of cream cheese, sour cream, taco seasoning, rotisserie chicken, corn, green onions, Rotel with green chilies, and lots of cheese.
This yummy taco casserole is topped with cheesy taco seasoned hashbrown potatoes and baked in the oven to golden brown perfection.
You'll notice there's no condensed soup in the base of this casserole -- cream cheese and sour cream are all you need.
More Easy Dinners with Rotisserie Chicken
- Swiss Chicken Casserole
- Green Chicken Enchiladas
- Chicken Stuff Shells (No-Boil)
- Chicken Stuffing Casserole
Why You'll Love This Recipe
Comfort food casserole with tons of flavor, very little prep time, and no condensed soup
Easy oven hashbrown casserole recipe -- throw it in and it's ready about an hour later
A great way to serve a complete meal in one delicious casserole
This cheesy chicken hashbrown casserole comes together with simple ingredients.
Cream cheese. Soften the cream cheese to room temperature so it's easy to stir into the chicken taco mixture.
Sour cream. Sour cream goes into the creamy chicken mixture AND the cheesy hashbrown mixture -- it's also delicious dolloped on top of the casserole.
Taco seasoning. The taco seasoning is divided between the base layer and the hash brown layer. You can use store-bought taco seasoning or make this easy recipe for taco seasoning with spices you probably already have.
Rotel tomatoes. One can of undrained Rotel tomatoes with green chiles adds a little bit of spiciness to this Mexican hashbrown casserole.
Cooked shredded chicken. You can use freshly poached chicken or leftover baked chicken or rotisserie chicken from the grocery store.
Corn. You can use fresh, canned, or frozen and thawed corn. You'll need 1 ½ cup corn.
Green onions. Sliced green onions add bright freshness to the rich flavors in this oven baked hashbrown casserole.
Cheddar cheese. I use sharp cheddar cheese for the bolder flavor, but you can also use mild cheddar cheese. Use freshly shredded cheddar cheese if you can. It tastes better, melts better, and is less expensive.
Monterey Jack cheese. Monterey Jack cheese is a lovely melting cheese. If possible, use freshly shredded cheese for the best flavor and texture.
Refrigerated hash browns. I use one 20 oz. bag of Simply Potatoes in this taco hasbrown casserole. You can also use frozen defrosted hash browns -- if they have a lot of moisture, you can squeeze it out with paper towels.
How to Make Taco Hash Brown Casserole in the Oven
1. Prep the pan and oven.
Preheat the oven to 350. Spray a 3 quart casserole dish (9 x 13 pan or similar size) with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Make the taco chicken mixture.
In a very large mixing bowl, stir together the cream cheese, 1 ½ cups sour cream, 2 tablespoons of taco seasoning, and undrained can of Rotel until completely combined.
Add the chicken, drained can of corn, green onions, ½ cup of cheddar cheese, and ½ cup of Monterey Jack cheese. Stir until combined.
Spoon the mixture into the prepared baking dish.
3. Make the cheesy hash brown layer.
In a large bowl, stir together the hash browns, 1 tablespoon of taco seasoning, ½ cup of sour cream, ½ cup of shredded cheddar cheese, ½ cup of Monterey Jack cheese, salt, and black pepper.
Evenly spread the potato mixture over the chicken layer.
4. Bake & add more cheese.
Place the baking dish in the preheated oven and bake for 60 minutes until bubbly and the top starts to turn golden brown.
Add the remaining ½ cup of cheddar cheese and ½ cup of Monterey Jack cheese on top of the casserole and bake for an additional 5 minutes or just until the cheese has melted.
5. Serve and enjoy.
Serve with your favorite taco toppings like sour cream, salsa, green onions, tomatoes, sliced black olives, hot sauce, and guacamole.
Storage & Reheating
Storage. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. Freezing is not recommended.
Reheating. Reheat until warmed through to 165 degrees in the microwave or oven.
Microwave: Heat individual servings for 1-2 minutes until warmed through.
Oven: Cover in foil and place in a 325 degree oven for 15-20 minutes or until heated through. If desired, add a fresh layer of shredded cheese and uncover for the last 5 minutes.
Use freshly shredded cheese for the best flavor and meltiness.
Soften the cream cheese to room temperature so it stirs together easily with the sour cream.
Store-bought rotisserie chicken is a huge time-saver in this already easy taco hashbrown casserole recipe.
No. Because it contains sour cream and cream cheese, it does not freeze well.
Homemade taco seasoning is really easy to make with chili powder, cumin, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, oregano, salt, and pepper. Get the full recipe and instructions here.
When you buy a bag of pre-shredded cheese, you're getting a little more than just the cheese -- you're also getting preservatives that are added to keep it from clumping together. These preservatives also keep the cheese from melting smoothly and having that fresh, creamy taste.
Easy Dinner Recipes
Let's Stay in Touch
Chicken Taco Hashbrown Casserole (Oven Recipe)
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups sour cream, divided
- 3 tablespoons taco seasoning, divided
- 1 10 oz. can Rotel tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 15.25 oz. can corn, drained
- ½ cups sliced green onions
- 1 ½ cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 ½ cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- 20 oz. refrigerated shredded hash browns such as Simply Potatoes
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 3 quart baking dish (9 x 13 pan or similar size) with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, stir together the softened cream cheese, 1 ½ cups sour cream, 2 tablespoons taco seasoning, and undrained Rotel until completely combined.
- Add the chicken, corn, green onions, ½ cup cheddar cheese, and ½ cup Monterey Jack cheese. Stir to combine.
- Pour the chicken mixture into the prepared baking dish.
- Stir the hash browns, 1 tablespoon taco seasoning, ½ cup sour cream, ½ cup cheddar cheese, ½ cup Monterey Jack cheese, and salt and pepper together in a large bowl.
- Evenly spread the hash brown mixture over the chicken mixture.
- Bake uncovered for 60 minutes. Sprinkle the remaining ½ cup cheddar cheese and ½ cup Monterey Jack cheese on top of the hash browns and bake for another 5 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
- Serve with your favorite taco toppings like sour cream, salsa, green onions, tomatoes, sliced black olives, hot sauce, and guacamole.